Skip to main content

Je Suis en Europe!

Ah! Finally, Le Internet!

Moyen!

Well, we arrived safely (much more so than on Air China Flights) on wednesday morning in Brussels, Belgium. After getting all of our things, we headed for the bus where MUDEC staff greeted us. After a three-hour long bus ride, we finally made it to Differdange (lovingly known here as "The Diff"). We hooked up with our host family's son, Johnny (not to be confused with their dog Johnny), who packed our luggage in a tiny van and took it ahead of us to our house. We walked to the house, literally a 2 minute walk from the chateau (yay for rolling out of bed!)! We checked out our rooms--they're really nice! We each have our own room on the 3rd (2nd here) story of Claire's (host mom's) house, then share a newly renovated bathroom--it's really nice!

We came back to MUDEC on Thursday to begin our orientation: first a lecture from Dr. Stiller (the dean), then introductory sessions about living with a host family, and student activities here at MUDEC. After that, we headed to Bastonge, Belgium (the site of the Battle of the Buldge) to check out the memorial and the battlegrounds. The guide told us the weather was much like it was over the course of the fight there--windy, cold, and wet. I can't imagine fighting in that terrible environment... and to think that it was the site of so many deaths/casualties....

Last night we headed to a few bars in differdange (gotta have some local flavor :P), then went to Luxembourg city to find a random bar that Brad THOUGHT he knew about... no dice. We probably hiked 4 miles and couldn't find anything except a lot of people who gave us wrong directions in German. Sooooo, we hit up a little pub on our way back to le gare (train station). I had my favorite Belgian beer (Chimay... mmmm). Though it's not ever on draught, it's a hell of a lot cheaper here than in the states! (3.50 Euro versus 8 dollars). Then we caught the train back to Diff and headed home...

Today, we're headed to Moselle, to a wine museum, winery, etc. I like the european attitude toward alcohol already, it seems like even though it's available, very few people come to bars to get drunk... way different than the United States...

Alright, I have to head to orientation stuff right now.. catch ya'll later!

Au Revoir,
Nate!

Comments

TwinMamaLinda said…
je t'aime!

I am so thrilled that you checked in and are having a great time already! I can't wait to hear about everything! Email me the stuff you can't post (wink wink; nudge nudge)

Love and Kisses,
Linda

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Entry: What Happened to the Von Trapp Family After They Went Over the Hills That Were Alive…

(This is Kevin writing). I arrived in Brussels and met Nathan with hugs and smiles. He didn’t look different which was nice. Getting through passport control was a breeze; the longest part of getting to Nathan after having left the plane was the walk from the plane to passport control. The entry agent took a look at the passport and waved me through. There was no Customs to clear! Nathan and I proceeded to the train station and took a train to Luxembourg City. The day was beautiful…sunshiny and breezy, temperatures comfortable. Nathan was an expert navigator of the train system and it took about 3 hours to get to arrive in Lux City. The view from the right was nice but I wouldn’t say spectacular. The train way was mostly through city like conditions (but we had really poor seats and it was hard to see outside). I learned an unfortunate lesson – you have to pay to use the bathroom in train stations. Nathan had warned me and I walked into one that was attended by a grandmothe

Fries, Beer, waffles and CHOCOLATE!!!!

The Canal in Bruge , originally uploaded by Nate Brunk . So this weekend we headed to Bruges, Belgium... What an amazing little town! Full of tourism (and tourists acting like tourists), the town had plenty to do and to see. We arrived by train on Friday night (only about a 3 hour ride from Luxembourg City) and started to hike around to try to find our hostel. We ended up staying in a place called Snuffel Backpacker hostel... it's an awesome place with tons of people there. The common room was a bar... a bit smoky, but a neat place to socialize. Taylor and I ended up talking to people from France and Holland (in French, incidentally... well, slightly drunken French...). They were studying to be train conductors, and had the weekend off for holiday. Anyway--that night, we took a night walk of Bruges, an incredibly beautiful city when the weather is nice and the lights are on... Awesome! We stopped before we went back to get some fries (did you know they were invented here?!) wi

On Iceland: What I Experienced, What I Learned, and How it Healed me.

Fair Warning: This is an extremely long post. Commit more than a couple minutes to it.  I’m finding it incredibly difficult to put into words the meaningfulness of my trip to Iceland. My emotions have been just shy of spilling over for most of the time I’ve been in the country, and I’ve found myself choking up more than a few times as I made my way across one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever had the opportunity to visit When I left, I was tired, worn down, and full of stress. Life had lost its shininess, feeling a bit like a cloud or a shadow was hanging over everything. I’d lost sight of what brought purpose to my getting up every day. Slogging through work, without any single thing to work toward besides a paycheck. Even my relationships felt less warm - without knowing my own way, I felt lost around others. I’ve always been good at hiding my worry, anxiety, apprehension, and what’s brewing inside me at any give time. That stoicism, however, was crushing me